Our Desperate Need For Christian Revival
Whilst there is nothing new under the sun, there is a greater need of revival now than ever before, because:
The word of God, the Holy Bible and the precepts contained within have been disregarded and are often laughed at as archaic and made null and void by many of our government laws. ‘It is time for You to act, O Lord, for they have regarded Your law as void’ (Psalm 119:126).
For most people, there is no moral absolute, no conclusive right from wrong, and as in the days of the Judges of Israel, everyone does what is right in their own eyes, and those who try to live by the rules of God are mocked and sometimes even attacked. This was also very present in John Wesley’s day. ‘Justice is turned back, and righteousness stand afar off; for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter. So truth fails, and he who departs from evil makes himself a prey’ (Isaiah 59:14-15).
There is no fear of God; morals have been so turned on their head by political correctness that people are unaware of what is right or wrong, whilst some deliberately try and pervert justice and truth. ‘Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!’ (Isaiah 5:20).
There is no shame or remorse for breaking God’s laws as people have hardened their hearts and seared their consciences as with a hot iron. ‘This is the way of an adulterous woman; she eats and wipes her mouth, and says, “I have done no wickedness” ’ (Proverbs 30:20).
Many people who profess to know God try to make an all inclusive religion; they shy away from denouncing sin, claim that all roads lead to God and that all people are good. Yet the Bible declares that all have sinned and there is none that is righteous. The only way to God is through Jesus Christ who is the Way, the Truth and the Life. ‘You have wearied the Lord with your words; yet you say, “In what way have we wearied Him?” In that you say, “Everyone who does evil is good in the sight of the Lord, and He delights in them…” ’ (Malachi 2:17).
‘O Lord, though our iniquities testify against us, do it for Your name’s sake; for our backslidings are many and we have sinned against You’ (Jeremiah 14:7).
Why we Need Revival
1. God must be glorified, Jesus must be exalted and the Holy Spirit needs to be given His rightful place within the Church. He is not a thing or an influence, but the Spirit of God, a Person.
2. The Church needs to be revived. It must be swept free and cleansed from sin. If revival does not start in the Church then it cannot move outside the Church amongst the graceless.
3. The graceless need to receive the grace of God, sinners need to be surrendered to Him and in times of revival they are drawn as if by an unseen hand to call upon the name of the Lord and to turn from their wicked ways.
4. Revival quickens evangelism and aids discipleship, ‘Warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus’ (Colossians 1:28). New converts are often the most passionate evangelists.
5. In times of revival, under the searchlight of the Holy Spirit, people are highly sensitive to sin, responsive to repentance and forsaking sin and desire to live righteously before a holy God, acknowledging the difference between, ‘The holy and the unholy, and causing them to discern between the unclean and the clean’ (Ezekiel 44:23).
6. Revival can so change a person in a matter of hours, which would have taken a Christian counsellor years to produce much lesser results. Some are instantly delivered from demons.
Used by permission from Global Revival, Worldwide Outpourings: Forty-Three Visitations of the Holy Spirit by Mathew Backholer
‘If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their
wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land’ (2 Chronicles 7:14).
Holy Spirit Power
Revival Answers, True and False Revivals
Heaven – A Journey to Paradise and the Heavenly City
Prophecy Now, Prophetic Words and Divine Revelations
Revival Fires and Awakenings: Thirty-Six Visitations of the Holy Spirit
Global Revival: Worldwide Outpourings - Forty-Three Visitations of the Holy Spirit
Revival Fire - 150 Years of Revivals: Spiritual Awakenings and Moves of the Holy Spirit
Understanding Revival and Addressing the Issues it Provokes
Jesus Today, Daily Devotional: 100 Days with Jesus Christ
Samuel Rees Howells: A Life of Intercession
Samuel, Son and Successor of Rees Howells
Recommended Revival DVD:
Great Christian Revivals
Thus says the Lord: “For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, and floods on the dry ground; I will pour
out My Spirit on your descendants and My blessing on your offspring” (Isaiah 44:3).
Overview of Revival
What is Christian revival?
Why we need Revival
The Link Between Missions and Revival
Revival – The Divine-human Partnership
Revival Scriptures - Conditions
Holiness and Revival
How can we see Revival?
Why Revival Will Always Be Controversial
The Next Big Thing
It’s Time For Revival!
Prophecies for the United Kingdom
Visions of Revival for the UK, Europe and Beyond
Great Christian Revivals
ByFaith TV Revival Clips
Revivalist Rees Howells
Talking Revival on Live TV
‘O Lord, though our iniquities testify against us, do it for Your name’s sake; for our backslidings are many,
we have sinned against You’ (Jeremiah 14:7).